Tuesday 28 March 2017

Why Blogger?

I have been asked a few times why I host my blog on Blogger and not on my own site.

The answer is simple, right now I do not have much time to manage a blog platform and do not feel the need. My personal blog is a secondary activity that I do for fun and in the hope that people find it useful, so there is no incentive to invest a great time on the running of it.

In the past, I not only hosted my own blog, but I also wrote the code behind it. This was a great learning experience but requires a time investment that I do not currently have.

But, you are an expert, you should be showing your skills! Well, yes, I do know what I am doing and that is one of the reasons why I am outsourcing the running of the blog to Google. By doing this, I know I will not make money from the blog (not that I intend to, anyway) and lose control over many things that are only possible when you self-host, but I also do not have to keep the system up to date, manage security issues on my code or any libraries I am using or keep up with spam comments (not that people comment anyway).

Finally, my blog is a perfect candidate for being just static content hosted somewhere but that would require me to use a third party for comments, at which point, I am not far off from where I am now, so I might as well take full advantage of someone else hosting the blog for me.

1 comment:

  1. Why do you chose to write it in english instead of other language?

    ReplyDelete